Takeaways from interviews previewing Kentucky’s men’s basketball game at Tennessee on Saturday:
▪ UK Coach John Calipari seemed to shoot down speculation that he might become the New York Knicks coach because a friend, Leon Rose, is rumored to be the next CEO of the Knicks. Calipari said he would help Rose in any way he could short of coaching the Knicks.
▪ Calipari did not sound overly optimistic about freshman Dontaie Allen playing this season. Allen, who is recovering from a torn ACL and a shoulder injury is behind in terms of knowing the X’s and O’s, and also in terms of conditioning, Calipari said.
▪ Calipari said he welcomes Saturday’s announcement of the preliminary top 16 seeds in the NCAA Tournament. All could change by Selection Sunday. But the UK coach said he liked having that standard in place to judge the Selection Committee if questionable changes occur.
▪ Immanuel Quickley said he watches film of Kevin Durant and Lou Williams in order to learn new ways to get fouled and shoot free throws.
▪ Tyrese Maxey smiled as he spoke of UK facing another hostile crowd, this time at Tennessee. A most memorable taunt from a fan came at Texas Tech and was prompted by his father sitting behind the UK bench, he said. The fan yelled that he was Maxey’s real father, the UK player said with a big smile.
No. 15 Kentucky at Tennessee
When: 1 p.m.
Radio: WLAP-AM 630, WBUL-FM 98.1
Records: Kentucky 17-5 (7-2 SEC), Tennessee 13-9 (5-4)
Series: Kentucky leads 155-73
Last meeting: Tennessee won 82-78 on March 16, 2019, in the semifinals of the SEC Tournament at Nashville, Tenn.