Canada’s biggest newspaper has warned Meghan Markle and Prince Harry that they are not welcome to live there as a ‘halfway house’.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex announced last week they plan to quit the royal family and split their time between Britain and North America in a move which has sent shock waves through the monarchy.
And with Harry likely to fly back to be with his wife and son Archie on Vancouver Island before the end of the week, the Globe and Mail has dealt them a sucker punch.
The scathing column, published on Monday, said Canada is not open to anyone “looking to get out of Britain while remaining a royal”.
While Prime Minister Justin Trudeau tweeted over Christmas the pair were “always welcome” as they spent the festive period in Vancouver, the newspaper has said the government’s response should be a “simple and succinct: No”.
The Globe and Mail went on to describe the Sussexes’ plans to move as “vague and evolving” and “not something that Canada can allow”.
“But this country’s unique monarchy, and its delicate yet essential place in our constitutional system, means that a royal resident – the prince is sixth in the line of succession – is not something that Canada can allow. It breaks an unspoken constitutional taboo,” the article said.
And while the piece admitted Canadians like their own monarchy, with visits tending to “produce outpourings of public enthusiasm” no royals should “set up a home on the premises”.
Instead, they prefer members of the Canadian firm to kept at arms length and “reign from a distance”, adding: “Close to our hearts, far from our hearths.”
“Princes are not shipped over here when no useful duties can be found for them on the other side of the Atlantic,” it continued.
“Canada welcomes people of all faiths, nationalities and races, but if you’re a senior member of our Royal Family, this country cannot become your home.”
There has been much debate about how the Sussexes’ plan to become financially independent will work, particularly when it comes to personal security.
The editorial was adamant Canada’s issue with the move was not about “the feds having to find a few million extra bucks” to accommodate the couple.
Instead it suggests Canadians are divided on the royal issue itself, but reports the government has offered to pay for Meghan and Harry’s security at a cost of millions a year have angered many citizens.
The Duke and Duchess removed a line from their new website claiming they are “internationally protected people” entitled to personal security wherever they go.
One of the key points of discussion at Monday’s crisis summit at Sandringham was the Sussexes’ annual security bill, which is understood to be paid for by the taxpayer.
Launched last Wednesday, the rebellious Duke and Duchess’ new official website Sussexroyal.com initially included the controversial phrasing about their security entitlement.
But this was deleted in a matter of hours of it going live, reports the Mail Online .
The new website also states that 95 per cent of their annual funding comes from the Duchy of Cornwall, the Prince of Wales’s private estate, estimated at around £1billion.
And with their intention to relinquish the Sovereign Grant, it is understood Prince Charles made it clear he does not have unlimited funds.
Harry and Meghan’s wedding, as well as fitting out Frogmore cottage, all cost millions and it is unclear how far the Prince of Wales is willing to bankroll the pair.
Any future funding is likely to impose firm rules on their commercial ventures, with the couple expected to look to make millions abroad.
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said there’s still much to discuss over the Sussexes’ proposed move to Canada.
The Sussexes’ desire to move has raised questions over the costs of the couple’s security during their time in North America and who would foot the bill.
Asked during an interview with Global News on Monday whether Canadian taxpayers would have to pay, Mr Trudeau said: “That is part of the reflection that needs to be had and there are discussions going on.
“We’re not entirely sure what the final decisions will be, what the dispositions are and those are decisions for them.
“I think most Canadians are very supportive of having royals be here, but how that looks and what kind of costs are involved, there are still lots of discussions to have.”
He said the federal Canadian government had not been involved “up until this point” about what the couple’s move to the country will involve.
“There are still a lot of decisions to be taken by the royal family, by the Sussexes themselves, as to what level of engagement they choose to have,” Mr Trudeau said.
“We are obviously supportive of their reflections but have responsibilities in that as well.”
The Sussexes enjoyed a “general feeling of appreciation” in Canada, he added.
Pictures: Best images of royalty in 2019