Dropbox is changing their Home windows 10 UWP app with a brand new app primarily based on Electron.
Itâ€™s the Dropbox you already know and love, however higher. Itâ€™s a single workspace to prepare your content material, join your instruments, and produce everybody collectively, wherever you might be.
Dropbox explains the brand new options as under:
Carry your content material collectively
Constructing on our historical past of serving to arrange your content material, the brand new Dropbox brings cloud content material along with conventional information so you possibly can preserve it multi functional place. Now you possibly can:
- Create, entry, and share cloud content material like Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides and Microsoft Workplace information inside Dropbox. You may also select to open Microsoft Workplace information in Workplace On-line or the Google net editor.
- Create and retailer shortcuts to any web site alongside your content material in Dropbox. Shortcuts make it straightforward to maintain content material from on-line challenge administration and productiveness instrumentsâ€”even information articles and wiki pagesâ€”along with the remainder of your work in Dropbox.
- Use one search field, not 10, to look throughout your entire content material. Youâ€™ll see conventional information, cloud content material, shortcuts, and information youâ€™ve chosen to not obtain via our selective sync characteristicâ€”multi functional place.
And donâ€™t fearâ€”you possibly can nonetheless arrange all of your work from the Dropbox folder in Home windows File Explorer and macOS Finder.
Carry your instruments collectively
Bringing your entire content material collectively is simply the beginning. Weâ€™re additionally ensuring the apps you employ all through the day are an integral a part of this new workspace. Constructing on our currentÂ integrationsÂ with instruments from corporations like Salesforce, Adobe, and Autodesk, weâ€™re introducing three new integrations. Theyâ€™ll work seamlessly with Dropbox to assist deliver your content material into context:
- Collaborate with Slack. The brand new Dropbox and Slack integration helps bridge the hole between content material and communication, letting you collaborate seamlessly on shared content material. Youâ€™ll have the ability to begin Slack conversations and share content material to Slack channels immediately from Dropbox.
- Video convention with Zoom. By connecting Zoom and your calendar to Dropbox, now you can deliver your work into video conferences. From Dropbox, youâ€™ll have the ability to add and be a part of Zoom Conferences. And through Zoom Conferences, youâ€™ll have the ability to share information out of your Dropbox.
- Handle tasks with Atlassian.Â Coming quickly, enhanced integrations that weâ€™re constructing with Atlassian will assist groups extra successfully handle their tasks and content material.
Carry everybody collectively
It isnâ€™t nearly content material and instruments. The center of all that work is the folks making it occur, so weâ€™ve additionally constructed new options to assist your staff keep in sync. Weâ€™ve remodeled shared folders into wealthy workspaces the place groups can:
- Get coordinated by including descriptions to folders to assist the staff perceive extra concerning the work theyâ€™re doing. Key content material could be highlighted by pinning it to the highest of a workspace, and you may even @point out folks and assign to-dos so everybody is aware of what occurs subsequent.
- Acquire visibility into the most recent progress on shared work. The brand new Dropbox permits you to see file exerciseâ€”together with viewer information and staff collaboration on Dropbox content material in Slack and Zoomâ€”and preserve tabs with a brand new staff exercise feed.
- Share suggestions by creating feedback proper alongside your content material, throughout desktop, net, and cell.
The brand new app is on the market through Dropboxâ€™s Early Entry program, which any consumer can choose in to.
On the similar time Dropbox has renamed their UWP app to Dropbox in SMode, noting within the description;
Dropbox for Home windows 10 in S mode makes it straightforward to share massive information with anybody, even when they donâ€™t have a Dropbox account.
Famed Home windows developer Rudy Huyn can be the official developer of the Dropbox app and a significant proponent of UWP, however the distinction between the capabilities of the brand new and previous apps could be very clear.
Because the proprietor of Electron Microsoft, in fact, wins in each instances, however as WalkingCat notes, UWP is about as alive as Home windows 10 in S-Mode, and it might be time for even the naysayers (who’ve launched a UWP PR marketing campaign not too long ago) to confess this too.
Learn extra concerning the new DropBox app right here.