If Huawei wants to survive in 2020, it’ll have to go all out. That’s reportedly the message from Chairman Eric Xu. In a New Year’s message, Xu said Huawei saw growth this year but will face a “difficult” 2020 as the from the Chinese telecom giant and phone maker, according to The Guardian.
The company reportedly estimates sales revenue will top 850 billion Chinese yuan ($122 billion) in 2019, an 18% increase over the previous year but lower than expected. Huawei also sold 240 million smartphones in 2019, a 17% jump from last year, according to CNN.
Earlier this year, the Commerce Department blacklisted Huawei following a May executive order from President Donald Trump that effectively from US communications networks. National security officials could be used to spy on other countries and companies. Huawei has repeatedly denied that charge. This unfolded as the US and China for much of 2019.
Xu reportedly said the US government has created a challenging environment for “Huawei to survive and thrive.” The company will need to build up its own mobile services — phones in overseas markets, Xu said, according to the Guardian.— to ensure its able to continue selling
While it’s phones are virtually invisible in the US, Huawei is the world’s Samsung.) In October, Huawei released the in China, its rival to Samsung’s Galaxy Fold and Motorola’s folding Razr. The company’s next flagship phones, the , are expected to be unveiled at an event in Paris in March 2020.(behind
Huawei didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.
Originally published Dec. 31, 6:38 a.m. PT.
Update, 7:06 a.m.: Adds background on Huawei.