Source material: A wonderful article in The California Sunday Magazine previewing the groundbreaking launch of a new apple variety, the Cosmic Crisp, this fall.
- For 50 years, Red Delicious was the most-grown apple in the U.S. That came to an end last harvest season, when Gala took over the throne. Some in the industry consider Red Delicious â€œobsolete.â€Â
- The first crossbreed that led to the Cosmic Crisp apple was made in 1997. Itâ€™s hitting shelves this year, so we count 22 years of testing before launch.
- It could be worth it. According to insiders, bringing the Cosmic Crisp to grocery stores may be â€œthe largest launch of a single produce item in American history.â€Â
- So how do you market an apple? The Cosmic Crisp is partnering with a theater production of Johnny Appleseed and a group of social media influencers.Â
- The Cosmic Crispâ€™s biological identity, under patent as WA 38, is owned by Washington State University. Cosmic Crisp growers must pay royalties on every tree they buy and every box they sell.Â