A 2-year-old Queens girl fell from a second-floor window that was left open during the Big Appleâ€™s recent heat wave, police and sources said Monday.
The girlâ€™s father had just finished giving her a bath in their apartment on 26th Avenue near College Point Boulevard in College Point at about 8 p.m. Sunday when he left her unattended, sources said.
The tot managed to slip away.
â€œMy husband just took her out of the bath and went downstairs to get the hair dryer â€¦ And she got onto the [window] ledge and fell off,â€ mother Jia Jia Zhou, who said she was not home at the time, told The Post.
She continued: â€œWe had the window open because it was so hot outside.â€
Cops said while the girlâ€™s father was downstairs, he heard screaming, and when he ran back upstairs to see what had happened, another of his daughters said her sister was jumping on the bed, leaned on the window screen and fell out.
The victim had fallen through the window, which didnâ€™t have a child guard, according to police.
The toddler was rushed to Long Island Jewish Hospital after the fall, and is expected to survive, officials said.
â€œSheâ€™s still in the hospital right now,â€ Zhou added. â€œShe has a broken right leg.â€
Additional reporting by Natalie Musumeci