A British tourist had to have a huge chunk of rotten flesh cut out of his foot after getting bitten by a spider on a trip to Las Vegas.
Actor Matthew Phillips, 44, did not even realize he had been bitten during his boysâ€™ trip in June because of nerve damage from type 2 diabetes, he told the Manchester Evening News.
But once back home in Manchester he noticed a â€œlittle red dotâ€ on his right foot â€” and finally went to Salford Royal Hospital when it got â€œblacker and blacker and more and more swollen,â€ he told the local paper.
To save the foot, he had surgery cutting out a golf-ball-sized chunk of infected flesh â€” without needing anesthetic because his foot was completely numb.
â€œThey cut away all the dead flesh and dead tissue and it was revolting. It was the most gruesome thing I have ever seen,â€ he told the paper as he showed of the hideous wound.
Doctors told him it was probably a brown recluse spider, which is only about 3/4 of an inch but has potent, necrotic venom.
He has been warned that maintaining clean dressings and avoiding fresh infections is vital if he is to save the foot â€” with his two kids recoiling in horror when they see the wound.
â€œWhen Iâ€™m re-dressing it, they canâ€™t stand it. They both start having to walk out of the roomâ€, he said.
PhillipsÂ still has some poison in his system and struggles to walk, and partly blames himself for getting type 2 diabetes and the nerve damage that stopped him feeling the initial pain and also being vulnerable to infections.
â€œI hold my hand up. If I wouldnâ€™t have neglected myself in the past this would not be like this,â€ Phillips, who was 280 pounds at 19, told the paper. â€œItâ€™s my fault what I had done in the past.â€