BURLINGTON â€” A Burlington man was hospitalized after he became sick from vaping.
â€œThese street vapes are very, very dangerous. My brother nearly lost his life,â€ said Patrick DeGrave, victimâ€™s brother.
The last few days have been touch and go for one Burlington man.
â€œThe trauma that he caused to his lungs is significant, the trauma that he caused to his heart is significant,â€ said DeGrave.
Patrick DeGraveâ€™s brother went to Aurora Memorial Hospital in Burlington after he was having issues breathing. At first, doctors thought it might be pneumonia but soon realized it was something else.
â€œThese vapes can cost you your life,â€ DeGrave said.
DeGrave says it was a vape cartridge that contained THC.
â€œWithin 24 hours he was being medically sedated and being put in a medically induced coma,â€ said DeGrave.
DeGrave says his brother bought the vape vials off the street. His warning comes on the same day doctors at Childrenâ€™s Hospital of Wisconsin issued a similar alert.
â€œVaping in teenagers is something thatâ€™s harming our kids and we want that to be loud and clear,â€ said Dr. Michael Gutzeit, chief medical officer.
Childrenâ€™s Hospital treated eight patients in just four weeks with severe lung damage. All had the common thread of vaping.
â€œWe donâ€™t have lot of information about the long-term effects and sometimes even the short-term effects,â€ said Dr. Gutzeit.
DeGrave isnâ€™t sure whatâ€™s next for his brother, but he doesnâ€™t want someone else to make the same mistake.
â€œItâ€™s wait and see,â€ DeGrave said. â€œWeâ€™re uncertain right now if heâ€™ll ever fully recover from this.â€
The Wisconsin Department of Health Services is investigating the cases at Childrenâ€™s Hospital. Itâ€™s unclear what type of vapes they were and where they were bought.