Finally, Apple has revealed a brand new mac pro, after the release of the previous version of it six years ago. This announcement was made during WWDC on June 3, 2019, then after one week, Apple has updated its website to suggest that this release will be coming in September.
The new mac pro-2019 is the latest high-end gear that the professionals and creatives have been demanding from Apple for many years. It has up to 28 core Intel Xeon Processor along with 1.5 TB of 6 channel system memory, which means you can easily run any intensive task on this brand new Mac Pro.
New Mac Pro Release Date
The specific date for new mac pro is not yet announced but it will be available for order in Autumn 2019. Though, Apple is suggesting that the new mac pro will arrive in September. You can also subscribe to the apple email and push notification after going to Apple website here. Click the notify button, a popup will be shown to you, enter your email there, click the submit button and be the first to know when Mac Pro is available.
New Mac Pro 2019 Price
The new mac pro price starts from $ 5,999 for Intel Xenon 3.5 GHz 8-Core Model along with 256 GB SSD, 32GB RAM, and Asus Radeon Pro 580X. There will be also multiple build-to-order options and custom configuration ranges up to 1.5 TB of RAM, 28-Core Xenon Processor, and Radeon Pro Vega II Duo Graphics Card. You can check the older versionâ€™s price here
Furthermore, mac pro has additional units and expansion modules that can be purchased separately, which includes mac pro expansion module (MPX Module), and 4 packs of wheels. More extra you can customize the specifications of your mac pro hardware. In-short this hardware is going to appeal to very few people due to its huge price, letâ€™s see.
- Intel Xenon 3.5-4.0 GHz, 8-Core, 16 Threads, 24 MB Cache: $5,999
- Intel Xenon 3.3-4.4 GHz, 12-Core, 24 Threads, 31.25 MB Cache: Not Yet Defined
- Intel Xenon 3.2-4.4 GHz, 16-Core, 32 Threads, 38 MB Cache: Not Yet Defined
- Intel Xenon 2.7-4.4 GHz, 24-Core, 48 Threads, 57 MB Cache: Not Yet Defined
- Intel Xenon 2.5-4.4 GHz, 24-Core, 56 Threads, 66 MB Cache: Not Yet Defined
Mac Pro Specs
The new mac pro hardware can be customized with a workstation-class Xenon Processor along with 28 cores, up to 1.5 TB of blazing speed of Memory, eight PCIe expansion ports, and worldâ€™s most powerful GPU memory.
The new mac pro is extremely powerful that apple has to equip it with a 1.4KW power supply. In order to cool down such a great beast, three impeller fans are used. A separate bowler is also used, which is paired with massive heat sink pipes that sucks the hot air away from the chip.
The new mac pro-2019 is using an Intel Xenon W Processor along with following specs
- 3.5-4.0 GHz, 8-Core, 16 Threads, 24 MB Cache
- 3.3-4.4 GHz, 12-Core, 24 Threads, 31.25 MB Cache
- 3.2-4.4 GHz, 16-Core, 32 Threads, 38 MB Cache
- 2.7-4.4 GHz, 24-Core, 48 Threads, 57 MB Cache
- 2.5-4.4 GHz, 24-Core, 56 Threads, 66.5 MB Cache
The new mac pro will have about six channels of superfast ECC memory and up to 12 physical DIMM Slots. The memory bandwidth will be up to 140 GB/s. RAM Customisation Options are following
- 32GB with four 8GB DIMMs
- 48GB with six 8GB DIMMs
- 96GB with six 16GB DIMMs
- 192GB with six 32GB DIMMs
- 384GB with six 64GB DIMMs
- 768GB with six 128GB DIMMs
The 8-Core hardware can support up to 1 TB 2666MHz memory, 12,16-Core can support 1TB 2933MHz memory, and the 24, 28-core models support up to 2TB 2933MHz memory. As the mac pro used a two-sided logic board it will be way easy for you to access it for memory upgrades.
New Mac Pro aims to deliver the fastest possible performance ever. The mac pro ships along with flash SSD storage architecture. The base model starts with 256GB SSD and is configurable to a 1TB, 2TB, or 4TB SSD.
The security feature in new mac pro is implemented by Apple T2 Security Chip. Your data is completely protected with its secure enclosed coprocessor. It also makes sure that the low-level software isnâ€™t middle with and only software trusted by Apple loads at startup, thus securing boot capabilities.
The base model of mac pro came along with Radeon Pro 580X and AMD Radeon Pro Vega II which marks up to 14 teraflops of computing performance, 32GB of memory and 1TB/s of memory bandwidth. For getting more power the two Radeon Pro Vega II GPUs combine to provide a Vega II DUO. By doubling the graphics memory, performance and memory bandwidth, it is the most powerful graphics card ever the world have seen. Also, check out Mac Gaming Guide here
Both two GPUs are interconnected via Infinity Fiber Link, which increases the data transfer rate 5x times. Such great performance is massive for apps, which are optimized for multiples GPUs.
The new Mac Pro also supports the combination of two Radeon Pro Vega II Duo. This four GPUs combination gives up to 56 teraflops and 128 GB massive bandwidth memory, which can handle everything in which we required high GPU memory like Machine Learning and Particle Simulations.
Radeon Pro 580XÂ â€“ 1 GPU â€“ One MPX Module
- 8GB of GDDR5 memory â€“ 256GB/s memory bandwidth â€“ 5.6 Teraflops single-precision
- Great for all-round performance for non-gpu intensive applications
Radeon Pro Vega IIÂ / 2 GPUs â€“ Two MPX Modules / One GPU â€“ One MPX Module
- 64GB of HBM2 memory â€“ 1TB/s memory bandwidth each â€“ 28.4 Teraflops single-precision / 56.8 Teraflops half-precision
- 32GB of HBM2 memory â€“ 1TB/s memory bandwidth â€“ 14.2 Teraflops single-precision / 28.4 Teraflops half-precision
- Give ideal workstation-class graphics, great for applications like video production, 3D Rendering, and extreme image processing.
Radeon Pro Vega II DUO / 4 GPUs â€“ Two MPX Modules / 2 GPUs â€“ One MPX Modules
- 128GB HBM2 memory â€“ 1TB/s memory bandwidth â€“ 56.4 Teraflops precision / 112.8 Teraflops half precision
- 128GB HBM2 memory â€“ 1TB/s memory bandwidth â€“ 28.4 Teraflops precision / 56.8 Teraflops half precision
- Worldâ€™s extremely powerful graphics card great for multi GPU demanding applications like machine learning and high particle pro simulations.
New Mac Pro Design
Many people arenâ€™t happy with the old Mac Pro trashcan-like design, the new mac pro-2019 is completely redesigned and far more astonishing and industrial. The design is more traditional along with brushed aluminum and sinkholes chaining with the outer shell, which makes it resemble to way old cheese grater like the design.
Apple is claiming this brand new mac pro as a complete powerhouse. It includes a stainless steel outlines and aluminum lodging whichÂ can be lifted off with a bit of a handle to give 360-degree access to each component.
With paying extra, you can get wheels for mac that can be added easily so you can move it around in your studio. The price is not yet declared by Apple, but it will be soon available. There is also a handle on top which helps you in moving it with ease. It is also racked mountable by using Appleâ€™s rack deployment.
The new mac pro base model dimensions are as follows:
- 20.8â€³ x 17.7â€³ x 8.58â€³ (52.9cm x 45cm x 21.8cm)
- 39.7lb or 18Kg
Expansion Options and ports
The new mac pro is most configurable and more expandable mac ever made. Due to Macâ€™s pro modular design now it is possible for apple mac customers to add as many components as needed.
For the previous old mac pro which was released in 2013, it was not easy to upgrade it or even add an extra component or expansion to it. Even Apple failed to upgrade it.
With this mac, the old headache will be gone as it has multiple expansion options and ports. It came with eight PCI express expansion slots in which four are double-wide slots, three single-width slots, and one half-length slot. The half slot is preconfigured with apple I/O card with two thunderbolts 3 ports,Â two USB-A ports, and a 3.5mm Audio Jack.
This mac has twice as many expansion slots than the previous mac hardware. With such numbers of expansion options, you can customize and expand it in many ways, which was never possible before in a single workstation.
There are a total of 12 Thunderbolt 3 ports, for easy access two ports are located at the top of the tower.
Apple introduced the Afterburner in a new mac, a hardware acceleration card that transforms the way for video, film and mac professionals. This card helps you to go straight from the camera to timeline and allows you to work natively with 4K even 8K file streams. This will also prevent your task to take extra time during transcoding, storage, and output.
This card has over a million logic cells, it can use 6.3 billion pixels per seconds and can hold up to following three streams
- Three Streams of 8K ProRes RAW video at 30 fpsË†8.
- Twelve Streams of 4K ProRes RAW video at 30 fps.
- Sixteen Streams of 4K ProRes 422 video at 30 fps.