The New Orleans Saints and Carolina Panthers issued their first injury report ahead of Week 17’s regular season finale, and New Orleans could go into this game missing several key starters on defense.
Third-year free safety Marcus Williams (groin) and number-two starting cornerback Eli Apple (ankle) each exited last week’s game with the Tennessee Titans after being injured, and they were both held out of Wednesday’s practice session.
Additionally, wide receiver Krishawn Hogan (hamstring) did not participate; Nola.com’s Amie Just reported that Hogan will end his year on the injured reserve list, making room for newly-signed veteran defensive back Deshawn Shead. Shead is listed as a safety by the Saints, but he’s largely played cornerback in the NFL.
New Orleans conducted a low-intensity walkthrough practice session on Wednesday, so actual player participation is estimated. A number of other Saints players were limited, with some starters returning from injuries (like strong safety Vonn Bell and linebacker Kiko Alonso) and others taking it easy after a punishing game at Tennessee (such as quarterback Drew Brees and wide receiver Michael Thomas). Their status is all important to monitor over the week.
Here’s everything we learned on Wednesday’s Saints injury report:
- CB Eli Apple (ankle), Did not participate
- FS Marcus Williams (groin), Did not participate
- WR Krishawn Hogan (hamstring), Did not participate
- QB Drew Brees (knee), Limited
- WR Michael Thomas (hand), Limited
- LB Kiko Alonso (quad), Limited
- DB C.J. Gardner-Johnson (hip/forearm), Limited
- OL Andrus Peat (forearm), Limited
- OL Larry Warford (knee), Limited
- SS Vonn Bell (knee), Limited